Saturday, January 24, 2009

Did I mention I LOVE Rachael Ray?

As someone who works a full-time job, and has an hour and a half round trip commute each day for it, time is a precious commodity. So, while I really love to cook, I don't normally have the time to cook everyday, and on my weekends, when I do cook, I don't want it to take up my entire day. Excuse me for sounding like a self-indulgent young twenty-something, but, well, I AM! It's not as though I have a family that I have to feed everyday; most of the time it's just me. I want something great to eat, that doesn't take a million years to make.

The whole "30-Minute Meals" thing explains why I think Rachael Ray is a goddess. I know some people think her effervescent cheerfulness is too much. Not me. I don't think there is anything wrong with being fun, and goofy sometimes. Meet me in person, and you'll see what I mean.

But anyway.

I work Sunday - Thursday, and tonight was my free night to cook. I made one of my classics... chicken and spinach burgers (which is a variation on one of Rach's recipes from her "365: No Repeats" book) and sweet potato fries.

Here is what I started with:


FRIES
  • 1 sweet potato
  • vegetable oil, to fry in
  • sea salt
Heat oil over medium-high heat. Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch strips, and fry for about 12-15 minutes, until crispy. Season with sea salt.

First up, I cut the sweet potato... well, tried. I have a mandolin slicer, which is awesome for cutting things uniformly, but the sweet potato was too dense for it. Since I am a klutz, I decided I shouldn't tempt fate with the possibility of me cutting a finger off, and I went back to basics: a cutting board and my trusty Furi East-West knife. I threw them into about a 1/2 inch of oil I had heating on the stove, and let the fries cook while I prepared the burgers.

CHICKEN AND SPINACH BURGERS
  • 1 lb ground chicken
  • 8 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon onion and herb flavor Mrs. Dash
  • handful parsley, chopped
Combine above ingredients and form into patties. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.

BURGER FIXINGS
  • tomato, sliced
  • avocado, sliced
  • swiss cheese
  • honey mustard
  • rolls

I made the burgers a
bout a half-inch thick and the size of my palm, and on the stove they went. Since I was just cooking for myself, I only made two burgers, and threw some bread crumbs and an egg into the meat mixture and formed some chicken meatballs, which I baked for about 15 minutes at 425 degrees.

In the mean time, I sliced the tomatoes and avocado. I went in the fridge for the honey mustard... but I was out. I'm a little addicted to the stuff, so it makes sense that I didn't have any. I figured I could throw some together... about 1 tablespoon each of deli style mustard (obvious), honey (also obvious), and mayo (for some creaminess). I toasted the roll, and slathered it with the honey mustard. After a slice of swiss was good and melty on top of the hot burger, I piled it with avocado and tomato. This is the end product:



All in all it took about 30 minutes of cooking, with the bonus meatballs cooking while I ate. I froze them and will have them for another night when I am pressed for time. Also, I Betty Crockered some double chocolate cookies for dessert (you can see the package of mix on the counter in the first photo). I definitely have a sweet tooth, but baking is a little too exact for me, so something I can add oil and eggs to is perfect. And quick. And yummy. : )

1 comment:

  1. B- Sounds delish! I am gonna try this! Whenever I make chicken or turkey burgers they turn out too dry, so I like the idea of adding spinach! Never would have occurred to me... YUM!

    ReplyDelete